"Low sodium" muscles were prepared which contained around 5 mmoles/kg fiber of intracellular sodium. "High sodium" muscles containing between 15 and 30 mmoles/kg fiber of intracellular sodium were also prepared. In low sodium muscles application of 10-5 M strophanthidin reduced potassium influx by about 5%. Potassium efflux was unaffected by strophanthidin under these conditions. In high sodium muscles, 10-5 M strophanthidin reduced potassium influx by 45% and increased potassium efflux by 70%, on the average. In low sodium muscles sodium efflux was reduced by 25% during application of 10-5 M strophanthidin while in high sodium muscles similarly treated, sodium efflux was reduced by about 60%. Low sodium muscles showed a large reduction in sodium efflux when sodium ions in the Ringer solution were replaced by lithium ions. The average reduction in sodium efflux was 4.5-fold. Of the amount of sodium efflux remaining in lithium. Ringer's solution, 40% could be inhibited by application of 10-5 M strophanthidin. The total sodium efflux from low sodium muscles exposed to Ringer's solution in which lithium had been substituted for sodium ions for a period of 1 hr can be fractionated as 78% Na-for-Na interchange, 10% strophanthidin-sensitive sodium pump, and 12% residual sodium efflux. It is concluded that large strophanthidin-sensitive components of sodium and potassium flux can be expected only at elevated sodium concentrations within the muscle cells.
Strophanthidin-Sensitive Components of Potassium and Sodium Movements in Skeletal Muscle As Influenced by the Internal Sodium Concentration
- Views Icon Views
- Share Icon Share
- Search Site
R. A. Sjodin, L. A. Beaugé; Strophanthidin-Sensitive Components of Potassium and Sodium Movements in Skeletal Muscle As Influenced by the Internal Sodium Concentration . J Gen Physiol 1 September 1968; 52 (3): 389–407. doi: https://doi.org/10.1085/jgp.52.3.389
Download citation file: