Permissions and Licensing
Permission to reuse content from Rockefeller University Press Journals
Attribution is required when reusing content from Journal of Cell Biology, Journal of Experimental Medicine, and Journal of General Physiology. Our preferred citation format is:
©YEAR AUTHOR et al. Originally published in JOURNAL NAME. https://doi.org/######
In any of the following circumstances, you can use our content gratis (with appropriate attribution):
- If you are one of the original authors (in which case you retain copyright).
- If the article was published under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC-BY). (To check if this was the case, see the first page of the PDF or very bottom of the HTML version of the article.)
- In your dissertation or doctoral thesis.
- In an educational setting where it will not be sold for profit.
- In an academic website or newsletter to promote your faculty’s research.
- For other non-commercial uses (with the exclusion of posting to potential mirror sites within six months of publication)
In all other cases – including all commercial uses of articles published under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 4.0 International License (CC-BY-NC-SA) – requests for content should be made through our partners at Copyright Clearance Center. From the article’s webpage, click on "Tools", then “Get Permissions” to begin a request for content from that article, or begin your request directly at www.copyright.com.
If you have questions or need assistance, please e-mail email@example.com.
Reuse for text and data mining
All RUP journal articles dating back to volume 1, issue 1 are available on PubMed Central 6 months after publication for text and data mining. For details refer to PMC's OAI-PMH site.
RUP acknowledges that text or data mining by commercial entities for internal research purposes is allowed without further permission from RUP. Commercial entities may develop indexing or search services displaying snippets of text up to 156 characters in length, or thumbnails of images up to 72 pixels wide – available to the public for free or for a fee – without further permission from RUP.
Commercial reprints are available by special order. Please contact RUPFinance@rockefeller.edu to request pricing information. Please supply the full article citation and the number of reprints you would like to order.
Not Logged in