1. Weight loss, progressive anemia, and a moderate increase in reticulated red blood cells occurred in seventeen guinea pigs on a diet deficient in vitamin C.
2. The histological changes of the bone marrow removed from guinea pigs with scurvy showed large numbers of erythrogenic cells, but scant evidence of active maturation to the adult erythrocyte.
3. A reticulocyte response was induced in guinea pigs with scurvy when fed orange juice daily.
4. The histological changes of the bone marrow removed from guinea pigs during the reticulocyte response showed large numbers of mitotic figures and relatively more adult red blood cells than in the bone marrow from guinea pigs with scurvy that had not been treated with orange juice.
5. It is concluded from this study that the anemia of experimentally induced scurvy in the guinea pig is largely dependent upon vitamin C deficiency resulting in retarded maturation of the red blood cell.