1. The method described by Elford for the preparation of graded collodion membranes suitable for ultrafiltration was found to give excellent results, and his findings are fully confirmed.
2. A formula is given for the preparation of collodion from which satisfactory membranes of graded porosity can be prepared.
3. The technique and apparatus used in the preparation, and standardization of membranes are described in detail.
4. The technique and apparatus required for ultrafiltration experiments are described, and some drawbacks encountered in the experiments are discussed.
5. The results of ultrafiltration experiments show that the pores of the membranes are remarkably uniform in size.