Vol. 208, No. 11, September 26, 2011. Pages 2201–2207.
The co-corresponding authors, Drs. Koretzky and Jordan, are retracting this publication due to their discovery that many of the figures prepared by the first listed author do not accurately represent the data from the underlying experiments. The primary issues discovered with this publication are listed below:
(1) The data presented in Fig. 1 A include inappropriate gating, inappropriate controls, and use of different cell populations than indicated.
(2) The data presented in Fig. 2 D include inappropriate gating, inappropriate controls, and use of different cell populations than indicated.
(3) The data presented in Fig. 3 A include the use of a different cytokine than indicated, and the data presented in Fig. 3 D include inappropriate gating.
(4) The data presented in several panels of Fig. 4 C were not derived from the correct congenic allele and inappropriate gates were used.
(5) The data presented in Fig. 5 D were not derived from the correct congenic marker, and the histograms in Fig. 5 E do not accurately depict the cell populations indicated.
As a consequence, any conclusions based on these data remain unsupported. None of the other authors were aware of these inaccuracies at the time of submission and review. All of the authors have agreed to this retraction. We deeply regret this circumstance and apologize for any adverse consequences that this might cause to the scientific community.