Electron microscope autoradiographic and biochemical methods were used to study the intracellular fates of several 125I-glycoproteins, known to be specifically bound and internalized by the different cell types in the liver. At the earliest times examined (1--2 min), 125I-glycoproteins (ASGP) were localized predominantly along the sinusoidal front of hepatocytes. Analysis of the distribution of autoradiographic grains indicated that: (a) approximately 40--60% of the 125I-ligand could be ascribed to the plasmalemma; (b) a significant fraction had already been internalized; yet (c) very little 125I-ligand was present in the lysosome-Golgi region. Between 4 and 15 min after administration of 125I-ASGPs, there was a dramatic redistribution of autoradiographic grains from regions of the plasmalemma and peripheral cytoplasm (30% decrease) to the lysosome-Golgi region (30% increase). At longer times (30 min), there was continued drainage of 125I-ASGP into this region. The grain density over secondary lysosomes was 60--90 times higher than that over recognizable Golgi elements, clearly indicating that lysosomes were the ultimate destination of the 125I-ASGP. However, no more than 60% of the total 125I-ligand could be localized to lysosome-rich regions of the hepatocyte, with the remaining 40% primarily in the intermediate cytoplasm. Biochemical evidence for proteolysis of the internalized 125I-ASGP (presumably within lysosomes) was obtained when [125I]-mono-iodotyrosine was found in the liver (i.e., hepatocytes) at times later than 15 min. The temporal redistribution observed for mannose and N-acetylglucosamine-terminated glycoproteins (ahexosamino-orosomucoid and agalacto-orosomucoid, respectively) in endothelial cells indicated that the 125I-ligands resided in macropinocytic vesicles (1--15 min) before their ultimate residence in dense bodies (15 min). The same 125I-ligands were also localized to structures resembling secondary lysosomes in Kupffer cells. The lysosomal nature of "these organelles" was implied from the appearance of [125I]mono-iodotyrosine in the liver at later times. 125I-beta-glucuronidase followed the same intracellular pathway in both cell types but was not degraded.
An electron microscope autoradiographic study of the carbohydrate recognition systems in rat liver. II. Intracellular fates of the 125I-ligands.
- Views Icon Views
- PDF LinkPDF
- Share Icon Share
- Search Site
A L Hubbard, H Stukenbrok; An electron microscope autoradiographic study of the carbohydrate recognition systems in rat liver. II. Intracellular fates of the 125I-ligands.. J Cell Biol 1 October 1979; 83 (1): 65–81. doi: https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.83.1.65
Download citation file: